Position / Title: Manager, Strategy & Operations
Location: DUMBO Brooklyn
Start Date: August / September 2019
We are Kate McLeod, and we make BODY STONES: all natural, solid moisturizers in the shape of a stone that melt on contact with skin in a way you have to feel to understand. Our cocoa butter moisturizers are made using 5 core ingredients that are so simple you can find them in your kitchen. We are completely plant based and packaged in sustainably farmed, reusable bamboo canisters. We're natural, we're simple, and we're beautiful.
We started hand pouring BODY STONES in Kate's kitchen and were blown away by the response - we've become a cult favorite that's been featured in Vogue, goop, Glamour, and Into the Gloss. Last year, we moved out of Kate’s kitchen and into our Butter Atelier in DUMBO Brooklyn, which doubles as an active production facility and showroom. We host private essential oil workshops and individual consultations here, as well.
Our BODY STONES are highly innovative in their simple formula (we are the Rx Bar of Beauty), solid form factor, and plastic-free packaging. We are dreaming big, and we are growing rapidly. This is an exciting opportunity to join a sustainable beauty / consumer products brand at the ground level. You will help shape the Kate McLeod vision by leading major operational workstreams as we scale our business.
Our current team and advisory board include contributors with backgrounds in consumer products (Warby Parker, Harry’s), finance / consulting (Goldman Sachs, Booz & Company), VC (Firstmark Capital), and tech (Hinge).
We are a small but mighty two woman team. You are our first hire. We will expect a lot from you. But you will learn a ton – you will be exposed to every aspect of our business and understand how to build a consumer brand from scratch.
However, this position is not for everyone: we are a scrappy, bootstrapped business that doesn’t have deep coffers of VC funding. We push ourselves to execute creatively and flawlessly on a shoestring budget. Willingness to roll up sleeves and dig into the most high priority task, no matter how small, is a must for this position.
This position is for…
- Scrappy entrepreneurial operators who are able to learn and problem solve independently, with minimal direction…
- … who are comfortable working in very small, intimate work environments that are testing and evolving processes and protocols (a.k.a, every day at work may follow an unpredictable pattern)
- … who can pressure test / implement new processes and come up with new solutions when current ones break
- … who recognize what it means to develop professionally in a rapidly growing startup environment – and feel sure a small startup environment is right for them
This position is NOT for...
- More traditional job seekers who feel they need explicit training and direction in order to complete their jobs well…
- … who are accustomed to working in bigger companies with established processes and protocols (a.k.a., every day at work mostly follows a predictable pattern)
- … who want to follow rules, not break or create them
- … who don’t really know what it means to work in a rapidly growing startup environment – or feel unsure whether a startup environment is right for them
The Manager of Strategy & Operations will lead the following workstreams, working closely alongside co-founders.
Product Operations & Supply Chain
- Oversee and monitor production and packaging processes and timelines
- Proactively manage inventory levels
- Manage supplier relationships and communication, taking whatever measures are necessary to resolve issues or mitigate risks
- Maintain inventory database and other data necessary for financial reporting and analysis
- Complete special projects, as needed (i.e., research and analyze manufacturing and supply chain partners, including cost / benefit analysis)
- Proactively manage relationship with our warehouse, troubleshooting issues as they arise and communicating sales forecasts / expectations
- Monitor and manage warehouse inventory levels
- Coordinate inbound warehouse shipments from our production facility
- Audit warehouse and shipping costs, identifying potential areas for cost savings
- Research requirements for international shipping and develop implementation plan for international shipping launch
- Oversee and optimize customer service processes and protocols
- Implement automated customer service solution (i.e., Zendesk)
- B.A. required; minimum of 2 years’ relevant work experience, preferably with stints in management consulting, finance and / or consumer products
- Strategy & Operations Acumen: You have exceptional critical thinking skills and use a structured approach to problem solving. You possess a basic understanding of what it takes to run a consumer products business and drive growth. You may not know everything, but you are willing to learn. You know how to ask the right questions and figure out what you don’t know so you can learn it quickly and independently.
- Communication / Presentation: You have superior writing, presentation, and public speaking skills. You are able to effectively communicate analyses.
- Entrepreneurial Attitude: You have strong leadership and negotiation skills to manage trade-offs or conflicts. You are able to navigate complexity and unforeseen roadblocks that arise in a constantly evolving entrepreneurial environment, recognizing when course correction is required, and adjust accordingly.
- Drive: You are hard working and self motivated to complete assigned tasks, anticipating the next step without direction and always exceeding expectations. You possess an inherent willingness to roll up your sleeves and dig in enthusiastically, no matter how small the task.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel is a must
- Send your resume and a brief statement of interest (tailored specifically to this opportunity / not generic) to Nichola Gray at email@example.com
- If you have any questions before applying, please feel free to reach out. We would love to hear from you!